ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Maven migration, almost there.
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:16:45 GMT
On Mar 19, 2010, at 0:18 , Marcel Offermans wrote:

> There is one remaining issue, and I can't seem to make that work, even with the example
that Jean-Baptiste provided, and that is the WebUI bundle (ace-webui). This is a GWT based
WAR file that has been converted into a bundle (JAR) file, adding some specific OSGi metadata.
Please check the bundle you get when building legacy/core (in deploy/bundle) for reference.

> I tried using the URL handler to dynamically wrap a WAR but that does not seem to get
me a fully working bundle in this case. It seems to work but interaction with the server is
not working, and the URL handler does not pick up on the Activator that is in there and that
must be invoked to hook the WAR up to the rest of the bundles.

With some help of Toni, yesterday we finally made this bundle work. Of course there were still
a few other issues that prevented the whole system from working properly, but I feel those
have been addressed now too.

The whole build works, provided you make sure that you build some "snapshots" that ACE depends
upon first. These are some bundles that reside in the Apache Felix project and have not yet
been released (in this form or at all):

Dependency Manager: we migrated to the 3.x version, which broke some APIs and is still under
construction (we don't use the features that are being worked on yet, so from our point of
view its using the stable bits).

Deployment Admin: which has also been updated to use 3.x of the dependency manager and is
still unreleased (mostly because of a missing feature that ACE does not use).

So build those first, then to do a full build, use:

mvn clean install -Prelease,targets

If all of that worked, you should have two working distributions: a server and a target (in
ace-target-devserver/target/ and ace-target-devgateway/target/ where you can both find zip
files and a folder of the same name).

You can run both from a shell with:

sh run.sh

Then point your browser to:

http://localhost:8080/webui/

Now you should be able to see the target, create features, distributions, add artifacts (place
them in the store/ folder first and then add them via the UI) and link them all together.

There's still plenty of work to do. We should migrate both the unit (ACE-78) and integration
tests (ACE-79) and we should discuss grouping our artifacts into folders to get a better overview
(the flat list of artifacts is confusing).

Greetings, Marcel