ace-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jean-Baptiste Onofré>
Subject Re: Ace release
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:49:13 GMT
Agree Marcel.

ACE-137 and ACE-76 are optional right now for the ACE release.


On 04/26/2011 02:46 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hello all,
> First of all, I agree with Karl as well, we should try to get a release ready!
> On 26 Apr 2011, at 13:49 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>> I'm agree.
>> As I said to Marcel, before cutting off the release, I would like:
>> - enhance the documentation, especially the started guide
> This I agree about. In fact, after talking to you I already updated the getting started
guide. Feel free to comment on it, or extend it even further.
>> - add a clean distribution based on Karaf (ACE-137)
> Indeed we discussed adding a Karaf based distribution. This however should not replace
the existing distribution, but add extra targets for people that want to use Karaf. As such,
I don't think we should hold off the release for it as we can always include it in the next
one. On the other hand, if you have it almost done, by all means commit it so it can be included!
>> - add a Karaf feature deployer (ACE-76)
> This has been discussed somewhat more off-list but I don't think the issue has yet been
updated with the conclusions.
> In short:
> a) We can try to "import" a karaf feature and try to convert it into an ACE feature.
> b) We cannot however support Karaf features as is, as there are still some outstanding
issues with that:
>     Karaf features cannot be updated:
>     There are mismatches between what deployment admin can do, and what Karaf features
could do:
> So having a) would be nice, but again I don't see we should hold off the release for
it. Option b) needs a lot more discussion and even fixing in Karaf before we can properly
support it.
>> Now, Felix bundlerepository and others dependencies should have been released, so
it's no more a show blocker.
> We should release:
>   - Apache Felix Dependency Manager (core)
>   - Apache Felix Deployment Admin
>   - Apache Felix Auto Config Processor
> I'm working on those.
>> I started to work on the two first points this week end. I should be able to complete
it tomorrow.
> Again, I don't mind including things if they are done. I would rather not delay our release
for features that are not yet done. We need to finally get a release out the door, with many
more to hopefully follow.
>> On 04/26/2011 01:24 PM, Karl Pauls wrote:
>>> All,
>>> i think it's time to get a release of ACE out of the door. What are
>>> other peoples ideas on this topic? I'd like to gather some feedback
>>> and ideas right now and would try to get a release up for vote at the
>>> end of the week.
>>> Right now, I'd say its probably best if we just add LICENSE and NOTICE
>>> files to the projects and use maven to release the artifacts. Not sure
>>> whether we need to change our parent pom for using the correct
>>> stageing repository etc. - anybody has an idea about that?
>>> What do others think?
>>> regards,
>>> Karl
> Greetings, Marcel

View raw message