ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Graduation resolution, can we make the project's mission more specific?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:52:36 GMT
Hello Bertrand,

On Dec 21, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On the board@ list, Roy asks if we could make the project's
> description more specific, in the resolution that's supposed to be
> voted on tonight to graduate ACE.

> It currently reads

> ...a project charged with the creation and maintenance of open-source
> software related to the management and deployment of OSGi based and
> other software artifacts...

> Which can be either understood as faithfully describing ACE's mission,
> or as a very vague description that could apply to many other of our
> projects ;-)

> Any suggestions on how to make that more specific while staying true
> to ACE's mission?

Sure. These wordings are always tricky and I understand Roy's point.

The tricky thing is that the system really is usable even for non-OSGi environments, but let's
look at the two aspects of this we can further specify/elaborate:

1) "management and deployment" is both centrally managed (the software life cycle), automated
and keeps a historic view
2) "OSGi based and other software artifacts" at the core it was designed for OSGi and similar
modular containers, but we even have examples where people just distribute configuration data
with the system, so through all kinds of plugins, it's very extensible

Based on this, may I suggest an alternative:

...related to the centralized life cycle management and deployment of OSGi based and related
modular software artifacts...

Greetings, Marcel