airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Bolke de Bruin <bdbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.8.0 based on Airflow 1.8.0rc4
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2017 08:19:36 GMT
Not trying to muddy the waters, but the observation of Jeremiah (non deterministic outcomes)
might have to do something with #3. I didn’t dive in deeper, yet.

ERROR: test_backfill_examples (tests.BackfillJobTest)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/travis/build/apache/incubator-airflow/tests/jobs.py", line 164, in test_backfill_examples
    job.run()
  File "/home/travis/build/apache/incubator-airflow/airflow/jobs.py", line 200, in run
    self._execute()
  File "/home/travis/build/apache/incubator-airflow/airflow/jobs.py", line 1999, in _execute
    raise AirflowException(err)
AirflowException: ---------------------------------------------------
Some task instances failed:
set([('example_short_circuit_operator', 'condition_is_True', datetime.datetime(2016, 1, 1,
0, 0))])
https://s3.amazonaws.com/archive.travis-ci.org/jobs/204780706/log.txt <https://s3.amazonaws.com/archive.travis-ci.org/jobs/204780706/log.txt>

Bolke

> On 25 Feb 2017, at 09:07, Bolke de Bruin <bdbruin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> - Backfill indeed runs only one dagrun at the time, see line 1755 of jobs.py. I’ll
think about how to fix this over the weekend (I think it was my change that introduced this).
Suggestions always welcome. Depending the impact it is a blocker or not. We don’t often
use backfills and definitely not at your size, so that is why it didn’t pop up with us.
I’m assuming blocker for now, btw.
> - Speculation on the High DB Load. I’m not sure what your benchmark is here (1.7.1
+ multi processor dags?), but as you mentioned in the code dependencies are checked a couple
of times for one run and even task instance. Dependency checking requires aggregation on the
DB, which is a performance killer. Annoying but not a blocker.
> - Skipped tasks potentially cause a dagrun to be marked failure/success prematurely.
BranchOperators are widely used if it affects these operators, then it is a blocker.

> - Bolke
>
>> On 25 Feb 2017, at 02:04, Dan Davydov <dan.davydov@airbnb.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Update on old pending issues:
>> - Black Squares in UI: Fix merged
>> - Double Trigger Issue That Alex G Mentioned: Alex has a PR in flight
>>
>> New Issues:
>> - Backfill seems to be having issues (only running one dagrun at a time),
>> we are still investigating - might be a blocker
>> - High DB Load (~8x more than 1.7) - We are still investigating but it's
>> probably not a blocker for the release
>> - Skipped tasks potentially cause a dagrun to be marked as failure/success
>> prematurely - not sure whether or not to classify this as a blocker (only
>> really an issue for users who use the BranchingPythonOperator, which AirBnB
>> does)
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 5:59 PM, siddharth anand <sanand@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO, a DAG run without a start date is non-sensical but is not enforced
>>> That said, our UI allows for the manual creation of DAG Runs without a
>>> start date as shown in the images below:
>>>

>>>  - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sxcqh04eztpl7p/Screenshot%
>>>  202017-02-22%2016.00.40.png?dl=0
>>>  <https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sxcqh04eztpl7p/Screenshot%
>>> 202017-02-22%2016.00.40.png?dl=0>