airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Gerard Toonstra <gtoons...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qs on airflow
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:55:49 GMT
Hi Larry,

1st: Unfortunately, this is a bit of an issue. You should think of an
execution interval (dagrun) of airflow as a piece of work that should
complete for that window.
      Most of your questions try to bypass this design issue and you start
to mix different interval settings in the same dagrun.
      I'm starting to think you're going to set yourself up for a lot of
complication that way. The best thing to do is to try to
     come up with a sensible diagram that you'd expect to run within a
single window and then use retries and retry_intervals in a sensible way.

     If it creates more problems to have one single interval "window"
definition (1 week), then you could look into the "TriggerDagRunOperator",
     which can also help to solve "2". You'd split up the DAG into separate
dags, which get run by your controller dags. Then it should become easier
     to control how/when each task gets run and for which kind of interval.

    Yes, the sensor will continue to execute and it will duplicate itself
for each dagrun. The LatestOnlyOperator wouldn't be helpful there, because
     it would already have passed it. I'm not sure if anything changed in
the sensor logic since I last checked, but these things continue to run on
a worker
     with a configured interval. An alternative would be to create your own
operator that 'fails' instead (and doesn't keep running) and then gets
retried
     until it either starves the retry-count or succeeds. That way it
doesn't consume workers.

2nd: Not aware of any filters for this, but see 1. Split it out to a
different DAG altogether perhaps.
       I never used subdags and heard some scary stories about those.

3rd: Did you see the "landing times"  UI screen available from the top
menu?  You can also look into the airflow database and run your own queries
there.
        Some crude charting can be customized with a bit of python and
queries on that database together with the "graphviz" tool, specifically
dot.
       It's a very simple ASCII file that you generate and then convert
using "dot -Tpng -osomefile.png <mydotfile.dot>"
       It's got a rich syntax for adding text to edges, etc.

       If you want to do critical path analysis, gantt charts could be
helpful. You can look into plotly for that:

       https://plot.ly/python/gantt/

Rgds,

Gerard