ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Git Feature Branches
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:44:14 GMT
One follow-up note about using feature branches. We're all going to be doing more and more
merging with this workflow. As such, it's important that we try to minimize incidental merge
conflicts. The biggest offender is when IDEs have different rules for organizing imports.
It can wreak havoc on the merge process.

It would be great if all developers could check to ensure that:

- You have "Use *" unchecked so that all imports are explicitly stated.
- The order of imports is:

java
javax
org
com

If during a code review, you see that the IDE has changed the imports incorrectly, please
flag it as an issue before the patch can be committed.

Thanks!

- Jonathan

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 9:11 AM, Jonathan Hurley <jhurley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Apache developers,
>
> I put together a simple wiki page outlining the strategy for using feature branches which
I think will help us keep our trunk branch stable as we move forward with new development:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Git+Feature+Branches

> Please have a look and feel free to provide feedback or edit it. The goal was to keep
it simple and introduce committers to the feature branch workflow.

> We should all adopt this practice for both new features as well as non-feature changes
which could potentially destabilize trunk.