ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] add FreeBuilder to Ambari
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2018 20:05:33 GMT
I agree - you can move mine to a -1 ... I'm having plenty of problems with FreeBuilder in Eclipse.

> On Mar 20, 2018, at 8:20 PM, Doroszlai, Attila <adoroszlai@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Let's close this vote:
>
> +1: Balazs Bence Sari, Attila Doroszlai
> 0: Nate Cole, Jonathan Hurley
> -1: Attila Magyar, Robert Levas
>
> Since most developers didn't express any opinion, but would be
> affected by the change, I take your silence as a "no".  I'll go ahead
> and remove the library from the feature branch, and will not add it on
> trunk.
>
> -Attila
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM, Robert Levas <rlevas@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> -1.
>>
>> I hate to squash other engineers ideas, but it seems that the advantages this package
brings to the table does not outweigh the disadvantages.  I agree with others that posts to
this thread about requiring an IDE to rely on a third-party tool to generate code.  If something
breaks, we are dead in the water for a while - whether we are waiting for someone to fix the
issue in the tool or whether we need to rewrite code to rip it out.

>> Also, what about debugging?  If there is a bug somewhere and it happens to be in
or near the generated code (or the meta-code used to generate the actual code), how easy or
hard would it be to access, read, or walk-through that code. Or what if the code generator
had a bug generating code.  We will either need to wait for a fix in the generator or figure
out a work-around.

>> It just seems to me that there is more work around using this tool then it is to
just manually create the classes. On that note, how many classes are really that simple that
we need such a tool?