ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Levas <rle...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] add FreeBuilder to Ambari
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2018 16:15:00 GMT
-1.

I hate to squash other engineers ideas, but it seems that the advantages this package brings
to the table does not outweigh the disadvantages.  I agree with others that posts to this
thread about requiring an IDE to rely on a third-party tool to generate code.  If something
breaks, we are dead in the water for a while - whether we are waiting for someone to fix the
issue in the tool or whether we need to rewrite code to rip it out.

Also, what about debugging?  If there is a bug somewhere and it happens to be in or near the
generated code (or the meta-code used to generate the actual code), how easy or hard would
it be to access, read, or walk-through that code. Or what if the code generator had a bug
generating code.  We will either need to wait for a fix in the generator or figure out a work-around.

It just seems to me that there is more work around using this tool then it is to just manually
create the classes. On that note, how many classes are really that simple that we need such
a tool?

Rob