ant-user mailing list archives

From Misha Dmitriev <Mikhail.Dmitr...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: newbie question: javac not checking build dependencies?
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 00:37:31 GMT
vlad@trilogy.com wrote:

> P.S. Interestingly enough, by now Sun could have added a new attribute to
> .class format that could be used to simulate symbolic links for all static
> finals that got optimized into literals. Then we could have had a perfect
> depends tool...

You are reading our thoughts :-)) In fact, this very solution is being
considered at Sun, and chances are that it will be introduced in the next
version of JDK/javac (1.5) along with javamake as a standard tool. BTW, if you
want javamake to become a standard tool, you can send me an e-mail (see a note
about that on its home page).

Regarding the question of why javac is not a sufficiently good dependency
checker. The problem with compile-time constants (static finals) is one thing.
But the main thing, which you can deduce from the cited docummentation, is
that javac simply won't check any source/class files that are
 - not given to it explicitly, and
 - not required by those given explicitly.
Nevertheless, such classes may be a part of your project. So if you want to
use javac as a reliable dependency checker, you really have to feed all of
your project sources to it every time. This, however, will result in total
recompilation -> wasted time. Javamake and other dependency checking tools
allow you to avoid total recompilation essentially by preserving dependencies
between classes and analysing them to determine what to recompile. To analyse
dependencies preserved in a suitable format, is much faster than to recompile
everything.

Regards,

Misha