ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Stagner" <dstag...@nmdp.org>
Subject Task design question
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:57:41 GMT
I'm thinking of writing a new task, and would like some input on the
design.  The task would wrap Sybase BCP in order to copy controlled test
data into a database table, while preserving the data that was in the
table to be restored later.  This way, multiple developers can share a
single development database without so much headache during testing.

Code-wise, i'm thinking of extending the Execute class (exec task) for
this.  Does that seem okay?  Execute is a fairly involved piece of code
and i haven't delved deeply yet.

Implementation-wise, i'm thinking of three actions - dump, load, and
restore.  Dump saves the current table somewhere (where?), load loads
new data from a file (dumping first if it hasn't already been dumped),
and restore loads the original data back iff it was dumped before.  I
need a standard place to save dumped files (set with a property,
probably, along with cruft like passwords and other identifiers), and a
way to identify load files.

Does anyone else have a use for something like this?  I'm basically
planning to use it as an adjunct to Junit tests.  BCP is a Sybase
utility, and i don't know what equivalents there are for Oracle and what
not - if it can be done in a cross-platform manner, i should be thinking
of that, and not getting too proprietary.

Any thoughts?
--

David Stagner

National Marrow Donor Program