ant-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Franz" <paulfr...@email.com>
Subject RE: Compiling files 1 at a time
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:28:47 GMT

> > "It's not really compile time that is the problem, but the
> > rather inefficient developement cycle"
> >
> > Definitely. You see the product I build currently create is
> > quite large (around 8000 source code files). And the build
> > that I do every night is then distributed to all developers
> > and posted up on the QA boxes. So during the development of
> > the product we want as much as possible to build and
> > therefore the most available for testing.
> >

> In this case I would recommend continuous integration rather than nightly
> builds and a modular project structure.  As far as I can see, if you are
> compiling everything together and some things compile, some things don't,
> then there would be no way for QA to meaningfully test *anything* since
> there can be no guarantees as to the integrity of the code.  In our group QA

I think you are thinking a little too generally about this when it comes to whether something
actually compiles or not. This totally depends on the part of the code the breaks.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "continuous integration"?

> never gets anything unless the build succeeds (a full compile from Perforce)
> and all Junit tests succeed.  But we have only about 750 sourcefiles, much
> smaller than your situation.  Asking your development tool (ant) to do a
> transitive closure compilation function seems equivalent to an implicit need
> for a more modular project structure.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "transitive closure compilation function"?

I understand that all projects have "implicit need for a more modular project structure."
But as they say the rubber has to hit the road. Which means in this case sooner or later you
will need to do a complete build from scratch that contains all of the modules.

> As for Jikes on Linux 7.2, yes it's available, I just ran it about 5 seconds
> ago :)  Woo hoo!!!

I know I need to try using it. (I just have to find the time)