ant-user mailing list archives

From Paul Cody <paul.c...@lucida.com>
Subject RE: Compiling files 1 at a time
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:52:24 GMT

> "It's not really compile time that is the problem, but the
> rather inefficient developement cycle"
>
> Definitely. You see the product I build currently create is
> quite large (around 8000 source code files). And the build
> that I do every night is then distributed to all developers
> and posted up on the QA boxes. So during the development of
> the product we want as much as possible to build and
> therefore the most available for testing.

In this case I would recommend continuous integration rather than nightly
builds and a modular project structure.  As far as I can see, if you are
compiling everything together and some things compile, some things don't,
then there would be no way for QA to meaningfully test *anything* since
there can be no guarantees as to the integrity of the code.  In our group QA
never gets anything unless the build succeeds (a full compile from Perforce)
and all Junit tests succeed.  But we have only about 750 sourcefiles, much
smaller than your situation.  Asking your development tool (ant) to do a
transitive closure compilation function seems equivalent to an implicit need
for a more modular project structure.

As for Jikes on Linux 7.2, yes it's available, I just ran it about 5 seconds
ago :)  Woo hoo!!!