ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stirling, Scott" <scott.stirl...@workscape.com>
Subject RE: Could Ant build scripts be compiled?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:36:16 GMT
> From: Donald Strong [mailto:dstrong@agentissoftware.com]
>
> Thanks Conner,
>
> I wanted to make this point but didn't want to contradict Scott twice
> in a row. Sorry Scott.  ;^)
>
> Consider a non trivial build process that takes, say, 1 hour
> to do clean build. This is driven by a 3000 line build.xml file.

Hi,

I agree, completely, of course.  I was partly proposing the idea just to see if it stuck to
the wall because I hadn't/couldn't think it through completely on my own.  But the primary
use case for the whole thing would be those build scripts that take 2 minutes or 45 seconds
and that everyone on the team runs 10 times a day, which are pretty common.  If, say, 10 seconds
could be shaved off the start-up time, then you might have a productivity enhancement worth
doing.

Other motivators would be:
- encapsulating Ant + build "script" in a jar file that can be run with java -jar
- making build scripts harder for users to modify, which is a goal sometimes for productized
Ant scripts

Scott Stirling
Workscape, Inc.

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you
immediately.