ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rebhan, Gilbert" <Gilbert.Reb...@huk-coburg.de>
Subject RE: Question re sshexec task
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:21:55 GMT

Hi, Rhino

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhino [mailto:rhino1@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 2:55 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Question re sshexec task

>Oh dear, this looks like it is going to be a lot more involved than
just
>using the sshexec and scp tasks....

for me the ant tasks for ssh/scp didn't work, so i had to go with exec.

it's the same as using exec on windows =

<exec dir="./bat" executable="cmd.exe" os="Windows 2000">
            <arg line="/c bla.bat"/>
        </exec>

only on unix.

>If I understand this example correctly, it appears that you are
actually
>executing a script on the remote server so that the server uploads from
the
>PC; Ant is just telling the server to initiate the script. Or am I
>misunderstanding?

The flow in short terms without all the details =

ant script on windows box packs all the stuff that should be deployed
to runtime environment (lying on several unix nodes) in n or more
tarfiles

transfer via ftp to one specific unix box, login @ that box and starting
antscript

that workflow will be even better in future, when ssh and scp work
directly from windows box
to unix, so that no ftp or login is needed anymore.
on windows i'll use the putty command line tools (plink ...) for that

there's only one antscript called on one unix box which does all the
work on n
remote unix boxes via exec and ssh/scp.

No magic in it ;-)

>Hmmm. I may just do something similar. I can write a script in WinScp3
>grab whatever files I want to send to the server and run it on the
server.
>Then, with a bit of luck, I can coax Ant to initiate that script for me
so
>that I don't have to start it manually.

Regards, Gilbert