ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kerry, Richard" <richard.ke...@atos.net>
Subject RE: Use of XML Catalog with Ant (xslt task) - request for example
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:53:55 GMT

"The point is that Saxon loads a Java classpath defined CatalogManager.properties file, so
it's possible that it has read this before ANT gets started."

Actually I think the point is that Saxon, run from a Java task, can load its own files so
it can do what it likes.

"So, you might be better off finding the CatalogManager.properties file that Saxon uses, and
editing that directly."

I've done this for Saxon use but have just been notified that ant/xslt can't use catalogs
for looking up the initial stylesheet so I need to change approach.

"assumption that Saxon is part of the work flow"

Saxon was part of my workflow for the first three DocDook formats I was looking at.  I started
by calling it from batch-files, including accessing the stylesheets by catalog, then moved
successfully to Ant, still using Saxon, in a Java task.  I am intending to get the WebHelp
format working and that is already written for an Ant build file using the xslt task.  I hoped
I'd be able to keep that mostly as provided but have found I can't use the catalog for the
initial stylesheet, so will need to change (actually the one provided doesn't use catalogs
(at all) so for the first stage I'll just be moving back toward that).

"I'd be interested to hear from anyone who understands ANT xmlcatalog, how it interacts with
other Java components such as Saxon, and the Java classpath."

So would I.

In the course of work on this I would expect to come to know more about this area.  I will
still expect the stylesheets' internal references to use the catalog, eg in xsl:import.

Appreciatively,

Richard.

Richard Kerry
BNCS Engineer, SI SOL Telco & Media Vertical Practice
T: +44 (0)20 82259063
M: +44 (0)7812 325518
G300, Stadium House, Wood Lane, London, W12 7TA
richard.kerry@atos.net<https://webmail.siemens-it-solutions.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=9fb20d019e3e4cb99344d708709a3177&URL=mailto%3arichard.kerry%40atos.net>

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee;
and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability
cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a
computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free
and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitte
________________________________
Trying to resolve this with ANT might possibly be too late, although I know nothing about
ANT's xmlcatalog.

The point is that Saxon loads a Java classpath defined CatalogManager.properties file, so
it's possible that it has read this before ANT gets started.

So, you might be better off finding the CatalogManager.properties file that Saxon uses, and
editing that directly.

Please check the Saxon documentation. And, yes, I'm making a big assumption that Saxon is
part of the work flow - just a hunch.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who understands ANT xmlcatalog, how it interacts with
other Java components such as Saxon, and the Java classpath.

HTH,
David

> I’m trying to get DocBook WebHelp building working, which uses Ant to control the various
processes involved, in particular Xslt.
> I would like to use Catalogs for resolving my XSL stylesheet locations, and have thus
far been unable to make this work.

> I’ve tried to follow Ant’s documentation regarding the <xmlcatalog> element
but I can’t get it to work.  (I am finding the Ant documentation in this area extremely
hard to follow)
> By “can’t get it to work” I mean it doesn’t find the files I’m trying to reference
via the catalog.  It doesn’t show any messages indicating whether or not it is using the
resolver, so I presume it isn’t finding it.

> Does anyone have any complete example of this working.
> Ie one that includes a reference to the resolver jar, and the classpath, and the catalog
file and/or catalogManager.properties.