archive-license mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Review of proposed Apache License, version 2.0
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 22:42:52 GMT
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Since I believe this license is compatible with the GPL,
>
> The second half of section 3 is quite likely not compatible with the
> GPL, as it imposes a further restriction upon redistribution that is
> not present in the GPL itself. [From my reading, it conflicts directly
> with the language of section 7 of the GPL.]

Eben reviewed a draft of the 2.0 license on November 14th, Message-ID:
<16309.18688.540989.283163@new.law.columbia.edu>, I can send you a copy or
you can find it in the archive here:

http://www.apache.org/mail/license/200311.gz

He did make a comment about the patent language, asking that we narrow the
scope of the termination from applying to actions taken against any
software, to the Work itself, and we agreed that this was a good
suggestion and made the change.  We also incorporated his other
suggestion from that email.  In doing so I believe we addressed the two
issues that affected GPL compliance, but I asked Eben earlier this week if
he could take one last look at the current 2.0 draft.

	Brian