archive-license mailing list archives

From Don Armstrong <...@donarmstrong.com>
Subject Re: Apache License, Version 2.0
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:13:50 GMT
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> The result is a license that is compatible with other open source
> licenses, such as the GPL, and yet still remains true to the
> original goals of the Apache Group and supportive of collaborative
> development across both nonprofit and commercial organizations.

Has Eben Moglen (or the FSF) commented on the compatibility with ASL
2.0 and the GPL, specifically regarding the interaction of §3 of the
ASL with §7 of the GPL? [I personally haven't seen such a public
commentary regarding the recent revisions of the license and their GPL
compatibility if they do exist...]

Until he (or the FSF) has, calling the ASL 2.0 a GPL compatible
license is premature for the reasons outlined in
<20040109231506.GC30397@donarmstrong.com> as well as in
<16309.18688.540989.283163@new.law.columbia.edu>, I'd suggest avoiding
caracterizing it as such until he (or the FSF) makes some sort of
statement on the issue.

[That being said, I'm not sure if GPL compatibility is an issue for
works under the ASL, but if it is, it's something that should be
discussed in further detail.]

Don Armstrong

--
I'd sign up in a hot second for any cellular company whose motto was:
"We're less horrible than a root canal with a cold chisel."

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu