archive-license mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache License, Version 2.0
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:29:29 GMT
On Friday, January 23, 2004, at 06:13  PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Has Eben Moglen (or the FSF) commented on the compatibility with ASL
> 2.0 and the GPL, specifically regarding the interaction of §3 of the
> ASL with §7 of the GPL? [I personally haven't seen such a public
> commentary regarding the recent revisions of the license and their GPL
> compatibility if they do exist...]

Yes, though I don't think it was public.

> Until he (or the FSF) has, calling the ASL 2.0 a GPL compatible
> license is premature for the reasons outlined in
> <20040109231506.GC30397@donarmstrong.com> as well as in
> <16309.18688.540989.283163@new.law.columbia.edu>, I'd suggest avoiding
> caracterizing it as such until he (or the FSF) makes some sort of
> statement on the issue.

They are compatible.  Whether or not they are considered compatible
by the FSF is an opinion only they can make, but given that a
derivative work consisting of both Apache Licensed code and GPL
code can be distributed under the GPL (according to *our* opinion),
there really isn't anything to be discussed.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding, co-founder, The Apache Software Foundation
                  (fielding@apache.org)  <http://www.apache.org/>