archive-license mailing list archives

From "Mahesh T. Pai" <paiva...@vsnl.net>
Subject Re: New license and copyright dates
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:29:29 GMT
Brian Behlendorf said on Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:05:44PM -0800,:

 > I personally  don't see  why a file  with "Copyright  1999-2004" is
 > going to be materially more or less effective

You are  disabled from saying `I  published that before  you did' when
faced  wiah a  suit by  somebody saying  that your  code  infringes on
theirs.

 >  than having a CVS tree with time stamps going that far back.

The most important record of publication of a document is the document
itself,  here  the source  code.   Remember  the  copyright /  version
histories somewhere in the first pages of a book?

 > For  the purposes of anyone trying to follow
 > the terms of the license, the most recent date is all that matters.

Terms of license, yes. But when it comes to copyright ownerhship and
infringement claims, it is a different story.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,