aries-dev mailing list archives

From Valentin Mahrwald <vmahrw...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Initial Contribution from IBM
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:03:12 GMT

On 1 Oct 2009, at 19:47, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I personally would like to propose the following structure:
>  trunk/jndi
>  trunk/jpa
> I think they should be migrated to maven, package renamed, etc...
>
> I also think that where it makes sense, having not too fine grained
> bundles is better.  I don't really see the point in having two
> separate bundles for the jndi stuff, given both parts will have to be
> implemented anyway.   Or at least, we should do as it's for blueprint,
> and provide a single bundle in addition to smaller ones if others
> think it might be useful.

The reason for splitting the JNDI bundles is to allow alternative
implementations of the osgi:services/ namespace handler without having
to redo/repackage the core RFC 142 implementation. There is a use for
this in the IBM code. But I can see that from the point alone of the
Aries code base it might be neater to stick everything in one bundle.

> Also, for com.ibm.osgi.util, unless there are plans to actually use it
> in other bundles, i would also include it in the jpa one or at least
> embed this class as a private package if it will be reused.

There are two other places the com.ibm.osgi.util bundle gets used in
the IBM code that is not part of the initial contribution, which is
why we didn't want to put it into the JPA code. But this argument of
course does not really apply anymore in the Aries code base.