aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JNDI and proxying
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:36:12 GMT

On Jul 9, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:

> I'm still a little concerned about this. I have two concerns:
>
> 1. How does the client deal with the dynamism in the non-proxies case.
> 2. How does the client know whether they have a non-proxied object so it can be treated
differently.

I think anyone who is really concerned with  osgi lifecycle and is in a position to modify
their applications to deal with it is not going to be using jndi.  So, I think it's reasonable
to have

osgi:services which always gives you a proxy or an exception

aries:services which makes a best-effort attempt to give you a proxy but gives you the raw
service if it can't construct a proxy.

I guess I think it's also reasonable to have aries:services always return the raw service
with no attempt to proxy: then a client (such as a jndi ref) can first try osgi:services and
if it doesn't work fall back to aries:services.

To me this is about making jndi work for more or less existing code.  If someone has some
code that looks up javax.mail.Session in jndi, and they want to register their Session as
an osgi service, what do you think should happen?  I think we should let them do it and let
them deal with the consequences.

thanks
david jencks