aries-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGI Declarative Services
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:46:47 GMT
Hi Charles,

On 13.08.2010 10:09, Charles Moulliard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Apache Felix project implements OSGI Declarative Services under the
> subproject :
> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-service-component-runtime.html. As
> this project is part of OSGI Enterprise specification, why don't we move it
> to Aries Project ?

I don't think so. Declarative Services is part of the Compendium
Specification and IIRC has just been copy-pasted to the Enterprise
Specification.

Therefore, I prefer to keep it in the Apache Felix project.

> I think that Declarative Services should be integrate to Blueprint
> Specifications to avoid confusion for architect in charge of project,
> simplify the development of services top of OSGI paltform and to allow
> injection of services with declaration of services to coexist together. What
> do you think about that ?

I don't agree, either; at least not now.

While DS and Blueprint service similar purposes they are quite (not to
say fundamentally) different.

What you would like to gain, you gain without such a merger. Both can
perfectly coexist in the same framework and developers can perfectly use
whatever they like because both use the framework's service registry to
access services.

Disclaimer: Being the main maintainer of Felix DS, I am kind of biased ;-)

Regards
Felix