aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <cummi...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Making a maven mirror for building aries - properties-maven-plugin refuses to cooperate
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 12:44:17 GMT
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a local mirror of the maven repository required by
Aries. The central repository has been a bit too unavailable lately for
production use.

These are the steps I'm following:

1. Build Aries normally.
2. Move my .m2 cache to a new location on my filesystem, ${myrepository}.
3. Configure a new .m2/settings.xml to use the ${myrepository} as a
mirror.
4. Build aries. All dependencies are downloaded normally, until we get to
properties-maven-plugin, and then it dies in a heap:

Downloading:
file:///home/cumminsh/.m2good/repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/1.2/maven-antrun-plugin-1.2.jar
22K downloaded  (maven-antrun-plugin-1.2.jar)
[INFO] artifact org.codehaus.mojo:properties-maven-plugin: checking for
updates from central
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.codehaus.mojo:properties-maven-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found

No amount of wiping my local cache fixes it.

A few things are mystifying me. I know the metadata in my local mirror is
good, because it's what just got downloaded from the central repository
into my bundle cache. So why does running against the central repository
pass, but an apparently identical local copy fail? If I download the
properties-maven-plugin jars and metadata manually and drop them into my
local cache, I can build fine, so it's just the download which is causing
issues, not the usage.

The second perplexing thing is that a few months ago, when we were on
0.1-SNAPSHOT, this process worked fine. What's changed between now and
then?

I could try a repository management tool like Nexus, but I can't imagine
they'd produce metadata more valid than the metadata I produce myself by
doing a local build and generating a cache.

I guess this is a more general maven question, or perhaps even a question
for the properties-maven-plugin list, but I know there are a lot of maven
experts among the aries community. Google throws up a more general
codehaus bug http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4001, but no suggested
workarounds except for moving to maven 3.

Anyone have any inspiration?

Thanks,
Holly
--