aries-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <zoe.slatt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Version 0.3 in "parent" pom.xml?
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:37:59 GMT
  On 02/09/2010 16:52, David Jencks wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2010, at 12:42 AM, zoe slattery wrote:
>
>> Hi - yes - absolutely. I should have made this a bit clearer but I didn't fully understand
it at the start. Once the release artifacts have been created the branch is effectively a
dead end. What the maven release plugin does to it during the creation of the release makes
it unusable for any practical purpose.
> I don't follow your reasoning here.  If we intended bug fix releases on these branches
for the components and had (for a development branch) correctly set the next branch version
at 0.2.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT then I would expect that the svn tree would be all set up for
development.  Other than the version (which conflicts with trunk) and our intentions what
makes these branches unusable?
What makes it unusable is that I haven't set it up to be used -  by
taking the defaults from the maven release plugin I made it useless.
This is exactly the same in the 0.1-incubating branch. The only reason
we might want this to be set up more sensibly is if we have a
requirement to do a 0.2.1-incubating release because someone finds a
problem with one of the 0.2 modules. That's a possibility and if/when
that happens I'll be happy to fix up the 0.2-incubating branch properly.
I'll certainly add this to the Aries release pages so that we get it
right for the 0.3-incubating release.

Zoë
> thanks
> david jencks
>
>> Zoë
>>> I suspect that Zoe accepted the release plugin suggestion that the next version
would be 0.3-incubating.  This would be appropriate on trunk but when releasing on a branch
like this it's probably better to add another decimal, 0.2.1-incubating.  However I hope this
branch is a dead end and nothing other than 0.2-incubating is ever released from it so it
shouldn't make any practical difference.