aries-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandros Karypidis <akary...@yahoo.gr>
Subject Re: Version 0.3 in "parent" pom.xml?
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:32:03 GMT
  Hi all,

My understanding is that if a release is made from this "0.2-incubating"
branch as it is now, then the Maven repository will obtain a new version
of the "parent" artifact in it. The number we are discussing will be
used for the "version" coordinate of the published artifact. The way
things currently are, "0.3-incubating" will be used.

Take a look at http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/aries/parent/
and imagine that uploading this release will create a "0.3-incubaring"
folder alongside the "0.1-incubating" to store this artifact. If in the
future tou make a new "full" release (from a new 0.3-incubating branch,
not a 0.2.1 patch from this branch), then you will not be able to re-use
this project coordinate.

Assuming this pom does not change at all until that next "full" 0.3
release, this won't matter much (this is related to the other discussion
of whether parts o aries should be versioned and released individually
or not: it's like "parent" is using its individual versioning scheme and
has not changed between the "full" 0.2 and 0.3 releases).

In short:

If I'm not mistaken - there are implications also for the trunk: as soon
as an artifact is published, you cannot change it without also changing
its version number. As soon as you need to change the copy in the trunk,
you will also have to change the version of the trunk (e.g. to use
"0.3.1-incubating") so that there is no "clash" among the already
published artifact and the "to-be-published" artifact.