aries-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DEPENDENCIES file
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 15:41:45 GMT

On Sep 30, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> Hi Kevan,
>
> On another thread (see bottom of this email) a few days ago you said:
>
> "This archive contains DISCLAIMER and DEPENDENCIES files which are not
> in the svn tag."
>
> There doesn't seem to be consistency across Apache on whether to
> include the DEPENDENCIES file or not. What are the arguments for not
> including it? Certainly Apache Felix favour including it [1]

That's a decision of the Felix project. There's no ASF requirement for such a file (ASF requirements
are for a LICENSE/NOTICE file). If the Aries project would find a DEPENDENCIES file useful,
then by all means include the file. If the file is useful, why only include in source releases?
Why not include the file in SVN?

In my experience, the DEPENDENDENCIES do not necessarily reflect the artifacts that might
be used in an actual runtime environment. DEPENDENCIES for a jar/bundle are more useful than
DEPENDENCIES for an entire project...

I object to a DISCLAIMER file being included in any future Aries' releases. I have no objection
to DEPENDENCIES files -- just question their utility. I probably wouldn't have mentioned DEPENDENCIES
if I wasn't mentioning DISCLAIMER...

--kevan