aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem building aries
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:41:08 GMT
On 17 October 2011 01:51, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> IIUC someone really did something very wrong here.  Don't change committed dependencies
(including parent poms) to a non-existent release.

> I'd suggest that someone call a release vote on the 0.5 parent pom right away, or revert
all the claims that such a pom exists.

> meanwhile you might be able to resurrect things by building a 0.5 parent locally from
the (presumably committed, but I didn't check) tag.  This is kind of a terrible idea because
your local maven repo will have something that looks released but isn't even under vote yet
(the 0.5 parent pom) and you'll have to delete it by hand to ever download the official release
(when it exists).

Actually what you say has wider implications for our release process.
What we were planning was, at release time, in trunk, to set the
version in the pom to the released version. That would act as an
indicator as to whether anything has changed since the last release.
The first person to change something in the module would change the
version in the pom and add -SNAPSHOT. So if they made a bug fix they
would also increment the micro version, if they made a functional
additive change, they would increment the minor version. If they made
an API breaking change, they would increment the major version. From
what you say, though, even after the releases have been made public,
anyone could check out trunk, make a small change to a module that
hasn't yet had its version changed, and build, and if they hadn't
updated the version in the pom they would get their own build of the
released version in their .m2 local repo. And that would be wrong
because a) they would have local changes included in it b) it wouldn't
be the correctly signed artifacts that were voted on.

[1] http://aries.apache.org/development/releasingaries.html