aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DEPENDENCIES file
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 16:19:27 GMT
Hi David, any hints on how to configure the remote resources plugin to
use org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle:1.4 but exclude the
DEPENDENCIES file?

I've tried adding an
<configuration> element of the maven-remote-resources-plugin in our
parent/default-parent/pom.xml but that doesn't affect what is put into
the source zip.

Thanks,
Jeremy

On 3 October 2011 17:09, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm the origin of the DEPENDENCIES file generated by the maven-remote-resources-plugin
(before that the same info was being mistakenly included in the generated NOTICE file) but
for an osgi project I think it is misleading and better dropped.  It was supposed to give
you a hint about the other jars you'd probably want to use with the jar with the DEPENDENCIES
file, a function better served by package imports and OBR.

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Oct 3, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>> On Sep 30, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kevan,
>>>
>>> On another thread (see bottom of this email) a few days ago you said:
>>>
>>> "This archive contains DISCLAIMER and DEPENDENCIES files which are not
>>> in the svn tag."
>>>
>>> There doesn't seem to be consistency across Apache on whether to
>>> include the DEPENDENCIES file or not. What are the arguments for not
>>> including it? Certainly Apache Felix favour including it [1]
>>
>> That's a decision of the Felix project. There's no ASF requirement for such a file
(ASF requirements are for a LICENSE/NOTICE file). If the Aries project would find a DEPENDENCIES
file useful, then by all means include the file. If the file is useful, why only include in
source releases? Why not include the file in SVN?

>> In my experience, the DEPENDENDENCIES do not necessarily reflect the artifacts that
might be used in an actual runtime environment. DEPENDENCIES for a jar/bundle are more useful
than DEPENDENCIES for an entire project...

>> I object to a DISCLAIMER file being included in any future Aries' releases. I have
no objection to DEPENDENCIES files -- just question their utility. I probably wouldn't have
mentioned DEPENDENCIES if I wasn't mentioning DISCLAIMER...