aries-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Ward <timothyjw...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Aries JNDI dependencies
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:42:23 GMT

I'm afraid that this is where we disagree about uber-bundles. In my view they are a covenience
for pulling in everything, usually for testing. If you are building a server you pull in the
bundles for the function you need and dependencies you have.

Currently, as far as the JNDI uber bundle is concerned, proxy and blueprint are not optional.
The uber bundle will throw errors if you don't have those packages, and I don't think we should
be adding function to the regular bundles to support their non-optional dependencies being
absent. IMO it makes the whole thing too complex to maintain and too hard to understand.

I'm not really looking to start a debate about the role of uber bundles here, as a group we've
flogged that particular horse far beyond the grave, and I don't think that we'll get much
use out of another one. Hopefully I have clarified why the dependencies are there in the current
uber bundle. If people want to make changes then so be it.

Regards,

Tim Ward
-------------------
Apache Aries PMC member & Enterprise OSGi advocate
Enterprise OSGi in Action (http://www.manning.com/cummins)
-------------------

> Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:50:54 +0100
> Subject: Re: Aries JNDI dependencies
> From: gnodet@gmail.com
> To: dev@aries.apache.org
>
> For uber-bundles, optional parts should have ... optional imports.  So
> if blueprint is not a core part, even if very valuable, I'd suggest
> having its imports flagged as optional in the big bundle (if that's
> not already the case).
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:36, Timothy Ward <timothyjward@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > There seems to be a misunderstanding here. The JNDI core bundle does not depend
on the proxy or blueprint APIs.

> > The bundle David is talking about is the JNDI uber bundle, which by definition depends
on everything because it *is* everything. The proxy API is used by the JNDI URL bundle to
implement the osgi:service URL scheme. This spec requires damping, which is exactly the sort
of thing that the proxy bundle is for. The blueprint API is used to implement the blueprint:
URL scheme, which is designed to integrate with blueprint, and so absolutely needs the blueprint
API.

> > I would like to ask people not to be so hasty in assuming that dependencies are
unnecessary. If you want minimal dependencies then you should be consuming the individual
bundles and looking at what they pull in.

> > In this case we could look at avoiding slf4j, although it seems to be popular and
other Aries bundles use it. I would be a -1 for removing util, proxy or blueprint dependencies
from the JNDI project. The first two because they are a good reuse of existing function, the
last because it's part of a really useful feature. If you want to run in an environment that
doesn't provide those packages then you can always cut back to the JNDI API and core bundles.

> > Regards
> >
> > Tim Ward
> > -------------------
> > Apache Aries PMC member & Enterprise OSGi advocate
> > Enterprise OSGi in Action (http://www.manning.com/cummins)
> >

> >> Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:08:18 +0100
> >> Subject: Re: Aries JNDI dependencies
> >> From: gnodet@gmail.com
> >> To: dev@aries.apache.org
> >>
> >> Well, the point is that it removes a dependency as it's always
> >> provided by the JRE.
> >> I'm far from being a fan of JUL myself, the only way I'm using it is
> >> when redirecting everything to a nicer backend in pax-logging ;-)

Would