aries-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aries JNDI dependencies
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:50:54 GMT
For uber-bundles, optional parts should have ... optional imports.  So
if blueprint is not a core part, even if very valuable, I'd suggest
having its imports flagged as optional in the big bundle (if that's
not already the case).

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:36, Timothy Ward <timothyjward@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> There seems to be a misunderstanding here. The JNDI core bundle does not depend on the
proxy or blueprint APIs.

> The bundle David is talking about is the JNDI uber bundle, which by definition depends
on everything because it *is* everything. The proxy API is used by the JNDI URL bundle to
implement the osgi:service URL scheme. This spec requires damping, which is exactly the sort
of thing that the proxy bundle is for. The blueprint API is used to implement the blueprint:
URL scheme, which is designed to integrate with blueprint, and so absolutely needs the blueprint
API.

> I would like to ask people not to be so hasty in assuming that dependencies are unnecessary.
If you want minimal dependencies then you should be consuming the individual bundles and looking
at what they pull in.

> In this case we could look at avoiding slf4j, although it seems to be popular and other
Aries bundles use it. I would be a -1 for removing util, proxy or blueprint dependencies from
the JNDI project. The first two because they are a good reuse of existing function, the last
because it's part of a really useful feature. If you want to run in an environment that doesn't
provide those packages then you can always cut back to the JNDI API and core bundles.

> Regards
>
> Tim Ward
> -------------------
> Apache Aries PMC member & Enterprise OSGi advocate
> Enterprise OSGi in Action (http://www.manning.com/cummins)
> -------------------
>

>> Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:08:18 +0100
>> Subject: Re: Aries JNDI dependencies
>> From: gnodet@gmail.com
>> To: dev@aries.apache.org
>>
>> Well, the point is that it removes a dependency as it's always
>> provided by the JRE.
>> I'm far from being a fan of JUL myself, the only way I'm using it is
>> when redirecting everything to a nicer backend in pax-logging ;-)
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:05, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,

Would

--