aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Bosschaert <david.bosscha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aries JNDI dependencies
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:19:09 GMT
Hi Mark,

Hmmm, I have to say that I don't really like message like: 'please
revert your changes because our product does x, y or z'. Apache Aries
is an opensource community that provides components that are used in
more than one product, not only yours.

I would prefer a more constructive approach where we can weigh the
pros and cons of the various approaches.

* SLF4J brings in dependencies that not everybody may want. In our
use-case in JBoss the SLF4J dep brings in at least 2 additional
bundles, which is unnecessary as we already have our own logging
system.
* SLF4J may have been decided on in Feb 2010, but a vibrant project
must show its agility to work in a number a settings. It's a good
thing that Aries is now used in more and more settings, but this
brings with it the notion of being able to accommodate.

So... I'm not entirely sure what the actual problem is with the
LogService, you mention:
* logging against specific classes
* other behavioural changes (what are they?)

Instead of simply going back to SLF4J, I would like to have a discussion about:
* possible alternatives, can we maybe change how the LogService is
used to accommodate your needs?
* or we could look at other logging alternatives, java.util.logging
comes to mind, since that can be configured to go to anything you like
as well and has the advantage over SLF4J in that the dependencies are
part of the JDK...

Best regards,

David