aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CDI annotations in OSGi
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:02:13 GMT

On Mar 25, 2012, at 9:01 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Getting OWB to work in a plain osgi environment should not be too hard.  I think the
CDI annotation model is a lot better in all ways than blueprint.

> I think what's missing is the connection to OSGI services.  To be more than a self-contained
set of components with no relationship to anything outside the bundle you need a way to consume
osgi services from CDI components and expose CDI beans as services.  I haven't seen a proposal
on how to do this.

A CDI Extension should be able to export all the services from OSGi into CDI.  The extension
could easily export too, if you wanted.

Rick Hightower wrote a bi-directional CDI/Spring bridge using that technique.  Should be illuminating
for bridging OSGi and CDI:

  http://rick-hightower.blogspot.com/2011/04/spring-meet-cdi-cdi-meet-spring.html

-David

> On Mar 25, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>
>> Found a newer thread.
>> http://openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/OSGi-Work-td4223311.html
>>
>> Seems a lot has improved since the first thread I found. I will try to get this running
and report on what I have found. Perhaps Charles can also comment on this as he seems to be
one of the drivers behind the efforts on the openejb side. I am not sure if he watches this
list. I will also ask on the openejb list.

>> Christian
>>
>> Am 25.03.2012 12:04, schrieb Christian Schneider:
>>> That would be ideal of course. Does anyone know if openejb could be used for
this?

>>> I found this page which shows how to use openejb in OSGi:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/OPENEJB/osgi-openejb.html
>>>
>>> and I found an interesting thread:
>>> http://openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/OpenEJB-and-OSGi-td981781.html#a981782
>>>
>>> So this sounds like it would work but not that nicely. You have to require the
openejb bundle and you have to use an Activator.
>>> Ideally I would like this to work like blueprint. Where you have an extender
that finds the trigger (META-INF/beans.xml) and initializes the bundle accordingly.
>>> Additionally it seems that openejb seems to have some dependencies on eclipse
RCP bundles which is not good for a server deployment.