aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <holly.k.cumm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Aries releases - oh, the misery
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:55:41 GMT
Hi,

I've been thinking more about the profiles for released versions and
snapshots. David J. has suggested maintaining profiles for released
versions and snapshots so we can accommodate both the requirement for
independently releasable modules, and the requirement that a current slice
across all modules had better work (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/aries-dev/201112.mbox/%3C6A8EEF8C-F116-40B4-8256-8276EA7DADA0@yahoo.com%3E).
David J., what was the reason for using a profile rather than the versions
plugin? I'm thinking of using something like the following to build with
snapshot versions:

mvn clean versions:use-latest-versions install

It seems like it would be much simpler than profiles, because we wouldn't
have to maintain any profiles.

I guess one downside is that such an invocation would work great in a
Jenkins environment, where there was no plan to commit things back, but it
would be lousy in a developers' sandbox, where the changes made by the
versions plugin get mixed in with other changes, and we'd have to be very
careful not to commit them by doing versions:revert. Other than that
objection, were there other downsides?

Holly