aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Aries util and blueprint.api 1.0.0 release candidates
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 20:30:07 GMT
to summarize my other email....

On Jul 3, 2012, at 1:25 PM, Holly Cummins wrote:

> I have the work to change the group id of the util bundle from
> org.apache.aries to org.apache.aries.util ready to commit. It's a
> pretty drastic change, so it would be good to get to get more opinions
> on whether we think this is a good idea or not.

I'm -1 on this

> Opinions on whether we change the util folder to util-bundle also
> welcome, since we're currently at one +1, one -1, and one 0 on that
> one.

I'm minus a lot more than 1 on this, I haven't seen a rationale I can understand

> And, while we're collecting opinions, any +1s or -1s to overriding the
> deploy goal to prevent releasing the util-r42 and util-parent bits?

-1 on this because it won't work :-) (even though I suggested it)

IN summary I think what we have now is as good as we can produce using maven.

thanks
david jencks

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Holly Cummins
> <holly.k.cummins@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I think there are two relatively independent issues. One is how we
>> name the util folder - should it be util, for consistency with the
>> bundle symbolic name, or util-bundle, to make it clear it's an
>> aggregator?
>>
>> The other issue is the group id of the various util artefacts. It
>> looks like the group id was forgotten from the util pom, because it's
>> the only bundle we have whose group id is org.apache.aries rather than
>> org.apache.aries.somecomponent. So I think we do need to change the
>> group id of the bundle, just to bring it in line with our conventions
>> for 'normal' bundles.
>>
>> Overriding the deploy to ensure the parent or r42 bundles aren't
>> inadvertently consumed is a good idea. I think that and the comments
>> on the util poms would be sufficient to ensure that it's clear that
>> the util bundle is produced by aggregating util and util-r42.
>>
>> Holly
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> WRT util, I disagree.  There's only one real output bundle from the util goo,
org.apache.aries:org.apache.aries.util.  The util-42 and util-parent are goo necessary (AFAICT)
to build against 2 osgi framework levels but neither one should be released.  If we do anything
it should be to override the deploy plugin in the util-parent and util-42 modules to skip
deploy.  I don't see a need to change the groupId or artifactId of the util bundle.

>>> util is completely different from blueprint where the "bundle" artifact contains
a lot of stuff all of which is intended to also be available separately.  The util-42 artifact
is compoletely useless by itself and should not be released.