aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <jpjhug...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aries website outdated pages
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 12:53:37 GMT
Hi David,

I made some comments and votes largely in line with what's been discussed...

On 4 June 2013 12:24, David Bosschaert <david.bosschaert@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2013 14:43, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 27, 2013, at 10:18 AM, David Bosschaert <david.bosschaert@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Downloads
>> > * This page was last updated for the 1.0.0 release train and I wonder
>> > whether we need it. All this info is available in Maven Central, can we
>> not
>> > simply remove it?
>> > * Release notes. Since we are now supporting modular releases, do central
>> > release notes make sense? I would simply remove this page.
>> > * Archived releases - again, can we simply leverage Maven central for
>> this?
>>
>> No for 1 and 3.  Per Apache policy, the releases must be downloadable from
>> the Apache mirror network and old releases available from
>> archive.apache.org/dist.
>>

> I didn't hear any objections to the other suggestions I made. If nobody
> shouts soon I'll make the changes I outlined in my original email (pasted
> below for reference) with the exception of the items pointed out by Dan
> above.
>
> Again - we can always add any of these pages back later if we want. I just
> want to get rid of as much stuff that is blatantly out of date...
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> ----

+0. Would be good to keep it there but in a 'superceded' section.

> * Pointers to OSGi specs: I updated these to point to R5 (was 4.2).

+1 to keeping this up to date.

> * Javadoc: this incomplete lists of modules points at old versions (0.3). I
> would propose to delete this page as this info is available in the
> published javadoc maven artefacts.

+1

> Downloads
> * This page was last updated for the 1.0.0 release train and I wonder
> whether we need it. All this info is available in Maven Central, can we not
> simply remove it?

-1 Like Dan says, our releases must be available from
www.apache.org/dist and having a list of the releases is the best way
of getting to them.

> * Release notes. Since we are now supporting modular releases, do central
> release notes make sense? I would simply remove this page.

+1. Each release should get a set of release notes in JIRA. It would
be nice to have this linked from the main downloads page.

> * Archived releases - again, can we simply leverage Maven central for this?

-1 Like Dan say.

> Community
> * Aries group blog - hasn't been active since 2010. Should we remove this
> link from the menu?

+0