aries-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Accepting pull requests for Aries from Github
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:27:40 GMT

On Mar 28, 2014, at 12:09 PM, davidb@apache.org wrote:

> Cool - thanks for the explanation.
>
> In terms of Aries, since we're still using SVN, can I actually push
> commits to git directly?
> FWIW I tried pushing to git://git.apache.org/aries.git and
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/aries.git but they don't seem
> to work...
>
> Or, should I, since Aries uses SVN, commit these pull requests via
> diff patches in SVN directly?

Well, they have to go in via SVN one way or another.   If you use SVN for development, then
you would need to grab the “diff patch” and apply it and commit it.   That certainly works.

If you use the git-svn integration for your development, then you can do a direct git pull
and then git svn dcommit to get it into SVN.

Dan

> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> On 28 March 2014 13:42, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 4:35 AM, davidb@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> That's great - but I'm wondering how this works from an IP-flow point of view.
>>> I guess that by attaching a patch to a JIRA issue one formally donates
>>> the code to Apache.
>>>
>>> But by merging a github pull request you take a few commits from
>>> someone's own fork and add this to the main repo. I guess you could
>>> view the creation of the pull request itself as a statement by the
>>> committer that (s)he wants to donate this code?
>>
>> Yea.....   pretty much that's it.    They've had to specifically click on a few things
to have github initiate the pull request which is enough for us to say they intended to contribute
their changes to Apache.

>> That said, somethings still would apply.  If the change is "huge", we'd still want
an ICLA and likely a code grant on file.   But for the simple patches and updates and such,
a pull request is adequate, especially now that the pull requests are ending up on our JIRA
and on the dev lists so there is a good record.

>> Note:  I had INFRA update the github mirror so the trunk branch is the default instead
of whatever ancient branch it had been using.  Should make forking and such from github easier.

>> Dan
>>

>>> Anyway - do you know of a formal document somewhere where interaction
>>> with github (or other code repos) is defined?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> David

>> --
>> Daniel Kulp