aries-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@apache.org
Subject Re: Accepting pull requests for Aries from Github
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:46:16 GMT
Right - ok. So it has to go through SVN, at least for Aries right now.
Thanks for the help!

David

On 28 March 2014 16:27, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2014, at 12:09 PM, davidb@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Cool - thanks for the explanation.
>>
>> In terms of Aries, since we're still using SVN, can I actually push
>> commits to git directly?
>> FWIW I tried pushing to git://git.apache.org/aries.git and
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/aries.git but they don't seem
>> to work...
>>
>> Or, should I, since Aries uses SVN, commit these pull requests via
>> diff patches in SVN directly?
>
> Well, they have to go in via SVN one way or another.   If you use SVN for development,
then you would need to grab the "diff patch" and apply it and commit it.   That certainly
works.

> If you use the git-svn integration for your development, then you can do a direct git
pull and then git svn dcommit to get it into SVN.

> Dan
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> David

>>> Yea.....   pretty much that's it.    They've had to specifically click on a few
things to have github initiate the pull request which is enough for us to say they intended
to contribute their changes to Apache.

>>> That said, somethings still would apply.  If the change is "huge", we'd still
want an ICLA and likely a code grant on file.   But for the simple patches and updates and
such, a pull request is adequate, especially now that the pull requests are ending up on our
JIRA and on the dev lists so there is a good record.

>>> Note:  I had INFRA update the github mirror so the trunk branch is the default
instead of whatever ancient branch it had been using.  Should make forking and such from github
easier.