aries-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@apache.org
Subject Re: Accepting pull requests for Aries from Github
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:09:52 GMT
Cool - thanks for the explanation.

In terms of Aries, since we're still using SVN, can I actually push
commits to git directly?
FWIW I tried pushing to git://git.apache.org/aries.git and
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/aries.git but they don't seem
to work...

Or, should I, since Aries uses SVN, commit these pull requests via
diff patches in SVN directly?

Cheers,

David

On 28 March 2014 13:42, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2014, at 4:35 AM, davidb@apache.org wrote:
>
>> That's great - but I'm wondering how this works from an IP-flow point of view.
>> I guess that by attaching a patch to a JIRA issue one formally donates
>> the code to Apache.
>>
>> But by merging a github pull request you take a few commits from
>> someone's own fork and add this to the main repo. I guess you could
>> view the creation of the pull request itself as a statement by the
>> committer that (s)he wants to donate this code?
>
> Yea.....   pretty much that's it.    They've had to specifically click on a few things
to have github initiate the pull request which is enough for us to say they intended to contribute
their changes to Apache.

> That said, somethings still would apply.  If the change is "huge", we'd still want an
ICLA and likely a code grant on file.   But for the simple patches and updates and such, a
pull request is adequate, especially now that the pull requests are ending up on our JIRA
and on the dev lists so there is a good record.

> Note:  I had INFRA update the github mirror so the trunk branch is the default instead
of whatever ancient branch it had been using.  Should make forking and such from github easier.