aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Do we really need Quiesce support?
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 08:15:54 GMT
In several places in aries we support the Quiesce API. As far as I
understood its purpose is to shut down bundles without actually stopping
them. It does not seem to be any standard as the interfaces are in the
Aries namespace.

The problem with it is that it complicates the code a lot. For example
in jpa container we create a proxy for each EntityManager that also
supports quiesce methods even though they are
not part of the EntityManager interface. The code in other modules is
similarly affected.

Besides this I do not see anyone using the API. I am also not sure why
we need it at all as OSGi already has nice lifecycle methods to stop
bundles which should have a similar effect if implemented nicely. One
other disadvantge of Quiesce is that you can only shut down a bundle.
You can not restart it again.

So the question is: Do we really need to support the Quiesce API? The
code would be a lot less complex and error prone without it.

WDYT?

Christian

--
Christian Schneider