aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: OSGi transaction management (RFC-221)
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:30:27 GMT
+1

Regards
JB

On 02/12/2016 10:23 AM, Timothy Ward wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m working on a new RFC with the OSGi Alliance which is about easily controlling transactions
within OSGi components. Obviously Aries Blueprint has its own model for doing this, but other
models, such as Declarative Services (or just raw OSGi) get no help at all. There are also
issues with using proxies for transactions - internal method calls don’t breach the proxy
boundary and so don’t trigger the transaction behaviours.

> Another problem that regularly comes up on the user lists is that it’s relatively difficult
to be sure that the DataSource/EntityManager/xxx you’re using is really participating in
the transaction. There are a number of whiteboard enlisting solutions around, but it’s still
easy to pick up the wrong service, or just to forget that you need the enlistment at all.

> I’m proposing to do the prototyping work for this RFC in Aries, with the thought that
we can provide the Reference Implementation at some point.

> I would also like to add that the impetus for this work comes from McCarthys (http://mccarthy.co.nz
<http://mccarthy.co.nz/>), who are generously sponsoring my time for this development
effort and Open Source contribution.

--