aries-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Ward <timothyjw...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGi transaction management (RFC-221)
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 18:31:55 GMT
Given the positive response I’ve started by creating an API project for the Transaction Control
Service under tx-control, I’ll move on to a coordinator-based solution for local transactions
next. Once enough of it is hanging together I’ll add it to the main build so that snapshots
start appearing in maven.

Regards,

Tim

> On 15 Feb 2016, at 13:30, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 02/12/2016 10:23 AM, Timothy Ward wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’m working on a new RFC with the OSGi Alliance which is about easily controlling
transactions within OSGi components. Obviously Aries Blueprint has its own model for doing
this, but other models, such as Declarative Services (or just raw OSGi) get no help at all.
There are also issues with using proxies for transactions - internal method calls don’t
breach the proxy boundary and so don’t trigger the transaction behaviours.

>> Another problem that regularly comes up on the user lists is that it’s relatively
difficult to be sure that the DataSource/EntityManager/xxx you’re using is really participating
in the transaction. There are a number of whiteboard enlisting solutions around, but it’s
still easy to pick up the wrong service, or just to forget that you need the enlistment at
all.

>> I’m proposing to do the prototyping work for this RFC in Aries, with the thought
that we can provide the Reference Implementation at some point.

>> I would also like to add that the impetus for this work comes from McCarthys (http://mccarthy.co.nz
<http://mccarthy.co.nz/> <http://mccarthy.co.nz/ <http://mccarthy.co.nz/>>),
who are generously sponsoring my time for this development effort and Open Source contribution.