aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Prototype for reactive streams and a messaging component abstraction
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:12:52 GMT
I recently looked into ways to combine messaging and streaming on OSGi.

Interestingly the best streaming solution I found for my case was
Reactor (by Pivotal) which is the core of spring 5. It works out of the
box on OSGi and only has a single dependency.

The next thing was how to combine this with messaging in a loosely
coupled way. I really like Apache Camel but I think it is not up to date
any more and also acquired a lot of weight over time (especially in
camel-core). So I was looking into providing a light weight component
API and combine it with Reactor.

The result is this project:

https://github.com/cschneider/streaming-osgi/tree/master/reactortest

This is the Component API:
https://github.com/cschneider/streaming-osgi/blob/master/reactortest/src/main/java/component/api/MComponent.java
Actually I am unsure if the converter must be part of the API but this
is the current state.

I created some POC components for Mqtt, EventAdmin and Mail.

and finally two examples:

Listen on eventadmin topic, log and forward to other topic:
https://github.com/cschneider/streaming-osgi/blob/master/reactortest/src/main/java/reactortest/ExampleEventAdmin.java

Listen to mqtt, compute average over sliding window and forward to other
topic:
https://github.com/cschneider/streaming-osgi/blob/master/reactortest/src/main/java/reactortest/MqttExampleComponent.java

I think there is a lot of potential in Reactor and also in messaging
components that do not couple your code to the technology.

I would be happy about any feedback on the prototype. Beware the code is
not yet split into bundles but I hope the intention is still visible.

Best

Christian

--
Christian Schneider