aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Prototype for reactive streams and a messaging component abstraction
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2017 12:32:43 GMT
My main concern with Pushstreams is adoption. It currently is an OSGi
spec that probably will not see a lot of usage outside of OSGi. Reactive
streams is already supported by a few frameworks and with Spring 5
supporting it I assume there will be lots of projects out there that use
it. It also seems the reactive streams API will be part of Java 9 which
makes it even more interesting.

I wanted to use the reactor DSL as it is quite rich .. like e.g. sliding
window support. The component framework should be independent from it
but for my examples I need to decide for a stream DSL of course. Ideally
of course there could be examples with different stream DSLs but I
wanted to start small.

Christian

On 29.06.2017 13:50, Timothy Ward wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> PushStreams are a fundamentally different take on the way streams are controlled, mostly
in an effort to make them simpler. They do not implement the reactive streams API, although
it is possible to adapt between them. You mentions that you want to be independent of a stream
DSL, but also that you specifically want to use the reactor DSL. These two things seem to
be at odds with one another…

> With Push Streams you have a Push Event Source, which can be implemented directly (it’s
lambda friendly) or you can use a SimplePushEventSource.

>  From the producing side you simply publish events as they arrive. A consumer can directly
connect to a source, or you can make a PushStream from it using a PushStreamProvider. A PushStream
is assembled just like a Java 8 Stream, and gets you answers at the end.

> Push Streams are available in the sonatype OSGi repository, and are in the latest R7
draft spec. I do suggest taking a look as I think it will save a lot of code.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect