aries-dev mailing list archives

From Raymond Auge <raymond.a...@liferay.com>
Subject Re: Aries Spec Jars
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:30:00 GMT
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Dec 22, 2017, at 4:14 AM, Timothy Ward <timothyjward@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I’m completely against having yet another bundle here when the other
> bundles are the ones that will be be used by all the other projects.
> >
> > Well we already do have working spec bundles here at Aries (and have had
> for quite some time), so is your proposal to remove them?
>
> Do those spec bundles also exist over in SMX or Geronimo?   Is there a
> “significant” number of major Apache projects that are currently using
> either the ones in Aries or the ones in ServiceMix/Geronimo?   If so, then
> yea, we should remove them.   Stop duplicating stuff and, instead, get
> issues fixed.

I don't think this is feasible.

The reason being that those projects are using those API jars coming from a
different perspective.

Their perspective is:

- Make the API usable in OSGi when there is no OSGi specification which
specifies it's use.

>From that perspective they are free to make implementation choices which is
totally fine for that case. However those choices are proprietary.

> > That’s fine as a proposal, but there are a *lot* of fixes needed in
> ServiceMix before the bundles are usable. None of the bundles offer (as far
> as I can tell) offer the correct contract capability (or even any contract
> at all), and they all seem to include a custom locator which isn’t part of
> the original specification jar. This locator will have unknown effects on
> specification implementations and may need to be removed. Are the
> ServiceMix team really going to be ok with changes that radical,
> particularly when they affect existing released artifacts?
>
> Removing the Locator stuff is likely not going to fly, adding additional
> bundle headers is likely OK.

Here you've now made it impossible by first saying that all changes should
be made in servicemix BUT that you won't accept the changes in servicemix!

You're not leaving us with many options.

The locator stuff is a proprietary detail that is not part of the OSGi
specification for how these APIs should be used.

> > As Ray points out the licensing also needs to be fixed before any of the
> bundles can be used in an OSGi reference implementation (which affects at
> least Aries JAX-RS, Aries CDI, Aries Transaction Control and Aries JPA).
> The reference implementations also need to be ready for the R7 release in
> the next month or so. My original suggestion was a simple movement of the
> existing bundles, do we have a different solution that’s workable in that
> time-frame?
>
> Let me be clear:  I intent to vote -1 on any release that contains the api
> bundle as it currently stands in Aries, PARTICULARLY if there has been no
> attempt a all to fix any problems in the other locations.
>
> This particular situation is even worse… 95% (or more) of the testing of
> CXF/JAX-RS in OSGi is done using the ServiceMix spec bundles.   I have
> little to no confidence in any other option at this point.

CXF does NOT implement the upcoming OSGi JAX-RS specification which is what
we're talking about here. And therefore CXF can't be placed in the same
category with the Aries JAX-RS and Aries in general which is about
implementing specifications.

Don't get me wrong, CXF and ServiceMix are fine projects. However they are
not implementing specifications. They are purely industry implementations
and those implementations have made design choices which are more or less
incompatible with the upcoming OSGi specification.

I sincerely hope you re-consider your position and offer some real help
otherwise we're stuck not being able to deliver RIs for OSGi R7.

- Ray

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)