aries-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Ward <timothyjw...@apache.org>
Subject Aries Spec Jars
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:25:26 GMT
Hi all,

I’ve noticed that an increasing number of Aries projects are producing wrapped spec jars
(JPA, JAX-RS, CDI...). In general I think that this is a good thing, as few other Open Source
projects package the jars with OSGi contract metadata.

I do wonder, however, if these spec jars should be provided by a separate Aries project, rather
than scattered across multiple other projects. I have two main reasons for this.

1. It makes the code for packaging the spec jars harder to find in source control

2. It creates some non-obvious links between projects. It’s clear why tx-control depends
on JPA, but not why JAX-RS depends on CDI!

The spec jars are mostly being put into a separate Maven group already. I would simply see
this as a formalisation of that earlier decision.

Thoughts?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone