aries-dev mailing list archives

From Raymond Auge <raymond.a...@liferay.com>
Subject CDI work
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:51:51 GMT
Hey All,

Some folks have expressed interest in making the Aries CDI impl better, and
particularly to make it able to work with Apache OpenWebbeans. This has
been a TODO item if mine for a long time and so I'm trying to move forward
with it now that there is interest in that.

Main thing so far is I've worked out how to eliminate the double startup of
the CDI container (OWB didn't like this, and it made it hard to adapt to a
different CDI container impl.)

The idea was to have a 2 phase init where the first phase would provide the
static metadata about the OSGi dependencies, throw away that container
instance. If unsatisfied the CDI bundle would essentially be passively
waiting until things became satisfied or bundle stopped. Phase 2 would take
the CDI container up when said dependencies were satisfied.

However, it turns out that doing phase 1 without the CDI container didn't
take as much effort as I thought.

Here's the branch where this big refactoring is taking place
https://github.com/apache/aries-cdi/tree/rotty3000/eliminate-double-start

Some goals I have for this effort are to:
- enable running with OWB
- retain the ability to run Weld
- implement a SPI for Aries CDI to swap out the CDI container impl
- make this all work through requirements and capabilities
- enrich the use cases to which this whole mess can be applied (currently
it's probably not very clear what some of the benefits are and how to
achieve them)

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)