aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The project website
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2020 14:39:19 GMT
Hi Ray,

So far I’ve worked to port the existing site to Antora.  I think that’s nearly done, or could be declared done and cleanup happens later :-) (I think there are just some peculiar looking links in tables left to fix).

It’s definitely possible to easily add the docs for e.g. CDI.  There are several decisions to be made about it.

I assume that the idea is to basically use the READMEs for these “subprojects” as the doc pages, presumably renaming them.

1. They need to be located in an Antora structure.  Two choices are

<cdi>src/main/docs/modules/ROOT/pages/cdi.adoc

or

<cdi>modules/ROOT/pages/cdi.adoc

2. How important is it to preserve the existing README rather than have a short description and link to the doc site?  It may be possible to use an asciidoc include to get the antora content into the README, but I really don’t know.  Is the README rendered on Apache gitbox or just on GitHub?

3. Antora is really good at dealing with multiple versions and multiple components.  However, this inevitably means more stuff to maintain.  The extremes are:
- each subproject (e.g. cdi) is a separate component and has multiple versions.
- there’s only one component/version containing all the docs at the latest release (the current option).

Any thoughts?

I’m wondering if it would be best to, at this point, work on getting what I have so far published easily, since it has the same content as the existing site.  Then we can fix it up, include the newer projects, etc.  WDYT?

David Jencks