asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: Regarding contribution to AsterixDB
Date Sat, 30 May 2015 06:57:22 GMT
Ok, I'd suggest ensuring you can also build the software yourself - should
be pretty easy, but if you want to be able to make changes and test them
out you'll need to be able to go from source code to installation yourself.

Once you've built with Maven, the .zip installer will be in
asterixdb/asterix-installer/target/asterix-server-0.8.7-SNAPSHOT-binary-assembly.zip
.

Also, you can start a little test cluster on a local machine without using
managix by directly invoking the "asterixcc" and "asterixnc" scripts in
asterixdb/asterix-app. I'm attaching a quicky shell script I use for that
purpose. That's much quicker for testing out local changes. Just put it in
a working directory along with the attached asterix-configuration.xml.
You'll need to change the path to "bindir" in the script to match your git
checkout of asterixdb.

When you make local changes to your source code, you can do "mvn install
-DskipTests=true -o" in an individual project directory to quickly build
just that part, followed by running the same command in
asterixdb/asterix-server to rebuild the asterixcc/asterixnc scripts and
classpath. Again, that's much faster than doing a full build of the whole
project.

Good luck!

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:46 PM, chandresh pancholi <
chandreshpancholi007@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have downloaded from archive given on this link[1]
> It was AsterixDB Beta Release 0.8.6
> <
> http://asterixdb.ics.uci.edu/download/0.8.6/asterix-installer-0.8.6-binary-assembly.zip
> >
> .
>
> [1]http://asterixdb.ics.uci.edu/download.html
>
> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Chris Hillery <chillery@hillery.land>
> wrote:
>
> > Nice! Did you install software that you built yourself with maven, or was
> > it a downloaded archive? I believe the latest downloadable version is
> > fairly old ...
> >
> > Ceej
> > aka Chris Hillery
> >
> > On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:37 PM, chandresh pancholi <
> > chandreshpancholi007@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have followed installation process given in link and successfully
> > > installed it and now running basic queries from web UI editor[1].
> > >
> > > @Mike It would be great if you share some documents to understand the
> > > system before i jump in to issues.
> > >
> > > [1].http://127.0.0.1:19001
> > >
> > > Thanks