asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jianfeng Jia <jianfeng....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Histograms and statistics on Asterix
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 18:37:27 GMT
Should we link all these kind of docs to wiki? (just the sharable link, don’t have to copy
the content.) :-)

> On Dec 18, 2015, at 10:18 AM, Ildar Absalyamov <ildar.absalyamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Wail,
>
> I do have some doc which can give you some idea of how stats collection will work https://docs.google.com/document/d/12aP8Pzp68b_HxJe-svFmG9dHFX6zliGw-ErNSd_Av3I/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/12aP8Pzp68b_HxJe-svFmG9dHFX6zliGw-ErNSd_Av3I/edit?usp=sharing>.
But it does not describe the statistical synopsis format. We were planning to use wavelets
instead to histograms for these LSM-based statistics. Let me know if you want to know more
on how wavelets work and why they should be used.

>> On Dec 18, 2015, at 07:23, Wail Alkowaileet <wael.y.k@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Good to know.
>> Is there any type of design document ?
>>
>> P.S. Sattam told me that there was some sort of a comparative study shows
>> the difference in performance of open vs. closed types. Where can I find it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ildar is working on that (camping on the LSM lifecycle) and Wenhai is
>>> doing some work on histograms that's intended for in-flight use during
>>> query processing (to do dynamic partitioning, e.g., during parallel sorts
>>> and joins).

>> --
>>
>> *Regards,*
>> Wail Alkowaileet