asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Murtadha Hubail <hubail...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hyracks Job Requirement Configuration
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2018 02:41:05 GMT
I have few questions if you don’t mind:

Do you see all cores being fully utilized during the query execution?

How much time does the query take right now and how do you measure the query execution time?
Do you wait for the result to be printed somewhere (e.g. in the browser)?

You mentioned that you have 4 partitions, how many physical hard drives are they mapped to?

Also, increasing the sort/join memory doesn’t necessarily lead to a better performance.
Have you tried changing these values to something smaller and seeing the effects?

Cheers,

Murtadha

From: Rana Alotaibi <ralotaib@eng.ucsd.edu>
Date: Monday, 29 January 2018 at 5:21 AM
To: <hubailmor@gmail.com>
Cc: <users@asterixdb.apache.org>, <dev@asterixdb.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Hyracks Job Requirement Configuration

Thanks Murtadha! The problem solved. However, increasing the number of cores didn't help to
improve the performance of that query.

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Murtadha Hubail <hubailmor@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rana,

The memory used for query processing is automatically calculated as follows:
JVM Max Memory - storage.buffercache.size - storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget

The documentation defaults for these parameters are outdated. The default value for storage.buffercache.size
is (JVM Max Memory / 4) and it's the same for storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget. Since
your dataset is already loaded, you could reduce the budget of storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget.
In addition, if I recall correctly, your dataset size is way smaller than what's allocated
for the buffer cache, so you might want to reduce the buffer cache budget. That should give
you more than enough memory to execute on 39 cores.

Cheers,
Murtadha

On 01/29/2018, 3:30 AM, "Mike Carey" <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:

    + dev